Of course, the power and the rapidly spinning blade are essential parts of this tool, so it is impossible to make one that has no safety risks at all. However, by choosing wisely you can get one that is right for you and that you feel safer with when using.
There are plenty of different models out there, with many of them coming from big name manufacturers whom you probably trust. Having said that, to make a good choice you will want to know a bit more about these machines and how they operate.
By checking out these reviews and the information how these tools work, you can get the best circular saw for your needs and feel comfortable about using it every single time that you need to cut through something precisely and without any fuss.
Best Circular Saw 2017
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Circular Saw 2017
- 1.1 1. Makita HS7601J/2 190 mm Circular Saw with MakPac Carry Case
- 1.2 2. Silverline 845135 Circular Saw 185 mm, 1200 W
- 1.3 3. Evolution RAGE1-B Multi-Purpose Circular Saw, 185 mm (230V)
- 1.4 4. Evolution FURY1-B Multi-Purpose Circular Saw, 185 mm (230V)
- 1.5 5. VonHaus 1200W 185mm Multi-Purpose Circular Saw 240V
- 1.6 6. DeWalt 240V 184mm 65mm Compact Circular Saw in Kitbox
- 1.7 7. WORX WX423 85mm 400W Compact Circular Saw Worxsaw
- 1.8 8. BLACK+DECKER CD602 Circular Saw
- 1.9 9. Bosch PKS 18 LI Cordless Circular Saw (Without Battery and Charger)
- 1.10 10. Makita DSS610Z Cordless Li-Ion Circular Saw (Body Only), 18 V
- 2 How It Works
- 3 Features That Are Important
- 4 Let’s Wrap It Up
This compact and lightweight circular saw is a good option for carrying out tough jobs simply and safely. The Makita HS7601J/2 190 mm Circular Saw with MakPac Carry Case includes double insulation, a soft grip and an aesthetic design that makes it attractive to look at as well as functional to use.
It includes a rear dust exhaust port and is compatible with guide rail use too. This saw weighs just 4kg and has dimensions of 30.9 x 23.2 x 25.5 cm. With 1200 watts it offers plenty of power for getting through tough jobs quickly and without any fuss.
In fact, this model is an update on the popular 5704R saw from the same firm, with some enhancements made to it, giving a lighter and smaller circular saw than on the previous model. The addition of a carry case makes this a great choice for anyone who is likely to need to use it in different locations.
This circular saw offers 0 – 45 degrees bevel angle adjustment with scale and a 24T TCT blade. The Silverline 845135 Circular Saw 185 mm, 1200 W has all metal base and guards, together with a dust extraction port.
It weighs just 2.1kg but is sturdy and highly versatile, with cut depths of 65mm (90°) and 46mm (45°). Features worth mentioning include the 2-spanner easy blade change and the comfortable, soft-grip handle.
This product comes with the saw itself, a spanner, a pin spanner and a manual. It is a good value option that maybe isn’t the highest quality option on the market but that should do a good job if you want an inexpensive tool for the occasional job at home rather than something of a professional standard.
With an ergonomic handle and a 0-45 degrees bevel, this Evolution RAGE1-B Multi-Purpose Circular Saw provides an adjustable depth of cut and ease of use at the same time. The addition of a clear visibility cutting panel makes it even easier to use accurately time after time.
This product comes with a 3 year warranty in the UK. It weighs a fairly hefty 5kg, meaning that it isn’t the lightest circular saw around. The 1200 watts gives it plenty of power to handle materials such as steel, wood, plastic and aluminium with ease.
When it cuts through steels you can expect very few sparks and no heat or burr. The manufacturer’s test data shows that it can cut through 25 metres of 6mm mild steel before the blade needs to be replaced by a new one, which is pretty impressive.
The ergonomic handle and light weight make the Evolution FURY1-B Multi-Purpose Circular Saw a great tool for cutting through even tough materials without any fuss. The 0 to 45 degrees bevel gives an adjustable depth of cut and the durable outer casing means that it should stand the test of time.
UK purchasers get a 3 year warranty with this 1200 watt circular saw. It is capable of cutting smoothly through materials such as steel, wood and aluminium with a single blade. There is no heat or burr and very little sparks when you cut steel with it.
This is a solid, dependable saw that has striking silver and green looks. It feel sturdy and does a good job for a reasonable price.
This powerful 1200W circular saw comes with multiple bevel angle settings for joint cuts. It has a big 185mm TCT tip blade, which gives you a maximum cutting depth of 65mm. This tool can fairly easily handle materials such as hardwood, MPF and Perspex.
The no load speed is 5000rpm and it has a dust extraction facility that helps to keep the work area clean and tidy while you use it. You get a 2 year warranty from the manufacturer with this product.
It weighs just under 5kg and the dimensions are 34.6 x 27.4 x 26.6cm. The orange and silver colour scheme is attractive and the overall package is ideal for a keen DIY enthusiast looking to get a great new tool.
If you are comfortable paying a bit more for one of the best circular saw models around then the DeWalt 240V 184mm 65mm Compact Circular Saw in Kitbox is a sensible choice. This DIY tool comes with an attractive combination of lightweight design and power.
The anti-snag lower guard is a useful safety feature, while the sight lines have been optimised to make sure that you can see what you are working on as clearly as possible. The box comes with a 24 tooth blade, a dust extraction spout, a rip fence, a blade spanner and a heavy duty carrying case.
The circular saw itself has a weight of 3.7kg and measures 23.4 x 34.6 x 32.6 cm. With a multi-coloured look and a professional feel, this is the sort of tool that should appeal to all sort of DIY fans as well as to professionals.
This is a good choice of circular saw if you want a very compact model that you can take anywhere with you. 400 watts of power mean that it isn’t the most powerful tool of this around. Yet, it can handle materials such as wood, tiles, plastic and metal.
The diameter of the blade is 85mm and this is a single speed circular saw. At just 1.9kg it is one of the lightest machines of its type on the market just now. The maximum cut depth is 27mm and it can be used either one handed or with both hands.
You get a 2 year warranty with the WORX WX423 85mm 400W Compact Circular Saw Worxsaw but this is increased to 3 years when you register it online. Included accessories are a hex key, a vacuum adaptor, a parallel guide and a 24 tooth TCT blade.
The BLACK+DECKER CD602 Circular Saw is a quiet device that also has low vibration levels when in use. It has a bevel cut facility and it is easy to adjust the depth of the cut as needed for different jobs.
Included with product are a TCT Saw Blade and rip fence. This Black and Decker circular saw comes with a 2 year guarantee but it is sturdy enough that it should last you for longer anyway.
The blade has a diameter of 170mm and the maximum cutting depth is 55mm, with a 45 degree bevel cutting option. A safety lock-off stops it from starting up by accident and it has dust extraction ports too.
The great looking Bosch PKS 18 LI Cordless Circular Saw allows for highly precise straight cuts and easy handling with no cable. This model is advertised as being ideal for cutting floor boards and decking with the highest degree of precision.
It uses lithium-Ion technology so that it is always ready to use with no self-discharge. The inclusion of a spindle lock means that you can change blade easily and safely whenever you need to. You also get a lock-off button and a soft, comfortable grip.
This Bosch circular saw is battery powered but the batteries aren’t provided. However, the good news is that the battery compatibility is shared across the Bosch’s power4all product line to make life easier for you in this respect.
This cordless circular saw gives a 360 watt maximum output and runs off lithium ion batteries. The motor gives a high rotational speed of 3,700 rpm to help you blast through even tough materials with ease.
The Makita DSS610Z Cordless Li-Ion Circular Saw (Body Only), 18 V is light and has a comfortable rubber grip for ease of use. Features include a double safety trigger, large lock off level, LED job light and built-in blow-off nozzle.
It is a smooth operating tool that should be good enough to handle most of your DIY jobs with ease. If you want a mixture of power and value then it is definitely a very decent choice.
How It Works
Circular saws have been around for longer than many people think. The first one was invented way back at the end of the 18th century and they were fairly common-place some 50 years or so later.
They were originally designed to help sawmills to cut timber more easily and cleanly. It is unclear exactly where and when this tool was invented. Some theories say that it was first created in Southampton, Mansfield, Germany or Holland but the definitive answer appears to have been lost over the years since then.
Early versions included a saw windmill and at the start they initially had smaller blades then current industrial versions. Portable, mechanical circular saws for personal use can be traced back to the 1920s, with the Skilsaw Inc invention being produced then. Some people still call these tools Skil saws or Skilsaws due to this fact.
The best circular saws work in a very similar way to the very first portable ones that were rigged up almost a century ago. Basically, a motor drives a round, flat blade that cuts through wood and other materials at high speed.
Some people perhaps see it is as a fairly dangerous tool to use at home but the truth is that it is simple to operate and isn’t especially dangerous when used properly. Certainly, you should choose the right blade for the material you are going to cut and also use eye protection at all times.
By choosing your circular saw wisely you will get a highly versatile tool that gives you years of use on a wide variety of jobs.
Features That Are Important
If you are going to do a great job and stay safe every time then you will need to choose the right circular saw for you needs. Most of the best models are highly versatile but not all of them will have all of the following features.
- The power. If you are going to be cutting through tough materials such as metals then you need a powerful tool that isn’t going to let you down at all. The power levels on these tools vary a lot, with the smaller ones unlikely to handle the most demanding tasks that you give it
- The size of blade. The right size of blade will also ensure that you can cut in exactly the way you want to. Again, this will largely come down to what you plan to use it on in the future.
- The dust extraction features. Many good circular saws have some sort of dust extraction feature. This allows you to keep the working area clean and tidy as you operate it. If you buy a model without this then it could be a lot trickier to do a great job without stopping to clean away the mess now and then.
- Good visibility. Another factor that can vary from one saw to another is the visibility that they offer. Good sight lines or a transparent area will let you see exactly what you are doing at all times.
- The weight. A lightweight circular saw can be extremely useful in letting you move it around with ease as you work. This is also likely to be a better choice if you need a portable option for taking out and about with you on jobs.
- The grip. A soft and comfortable grip might sound like a bit of a luxury but it is pretty much essential on this sort of tool. You need to be completely comfortable holding it firmly in your hands while it runs.
- Cordless use. As with most types of power tools these days, you can opt for a cordless circular saw if you like. These are battery operated and are more portable but often lack a bit of power when compared to traditional models.
- Safety trigger. Of course, it is important to find a tool with good safety features. In this case, a safety trigger will give you great peace of mind while you are using it.
- Protective guard. A good quality protective guard will keep you safe while you cut. This is an essential on any circular saw but not all of them are of the same size and quality.
- How to change the blade. You will need to change the blade at some point if you use this tool a lot. Therefore, it makes sense to find one that is easy and safe to change. There are different methods of doing this, so look for one that you feel comfortable with.
- Low noise levels. A smoothly operating, quiet circular saw is a pleasure to work with, while a noisy one can be a real pain. If you are going to be using it a lot then choosing one with low noise levels is well worth the effort.
- Warranty. Finally, a good warranty will let you feel confident that you will be able to use this tool for a long time into the future. A 2 or 3 year guarantee is fairly common even on modestly prices models.
Let’s Wrap It Up
This is the sort of versatile power tool that you could end up using far more than you expected to when you bought it. The fact that the best circular saws can handle so many different types of material means that they can be used for numerous jobs.
By making the right choice now you will get a dependable tool that you use over and over again from now on. Choose one with good safety features and that it easy to use if you want to feel confident of getting the job done well every time that you use it.
In fact, once you start to use this tool you will probably start looking for more and more ways of putting it to good use. It is a fun sort of machine to work with and if you pick the right one then you will get years of pleasure out of it.
Don’t leave your decision to chance. Simply check out the reviews we have carried out and you are almost certain to find one that you are happy using for your DIY jobs or for your work.