Best Reviewer may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
One of the most important accessories you rely on when camping and for picnics is a cool box. After you set up camp or your picnic site you want to enjoy the food you prepared for your trip made possible by a reliable cool box.
Careful research of the vital features including functionality, size, electric or non-electric, inner lining, vacuum sealing, durability, portability, will result in making the right purchase. Check out these five cool boxes to find out which one most suits your needs.
Table of Contents
|1. Thermos Radiance Cooler
|2. IGLOO Unisex’s Polar 120 Coolbox
|3. Coleman Cool Box Xtreme
|4. Lifewit 30L Soft Cooler Bag
|5. IGLOO Unisex’s Island Breeze
Our Our Best Cool Box Reviews and Comparisons
1. Thermos Radiance Cooler
The temperature retention performance of this cooler is made possible due to its IsoTec insulation. This multi-layered insulated structure consists of a layer of dense, closed-cell polyethylene foam placed between a rugged outer layer of textile and an additional moisture repellant heat-sealed PEVA lining.
- Durable water resistant outer material
- Leak-proof, reflective silver PEVA liner for improved insulation
- 100% PVC free liner
- Unique Thermos IsoTec insulation
What We Like About Thermos Radiance Cooler
This cool box is designed to keep beverages cool for many hours. The cooling period will depend on what is being stored including the number of ice packs.
There is enough room for a meal-sized Tupperware container plus other items.
What We Don’t Like About Thermos Radiance Cooler
To ensure maximum cooling cover the bottom of the bag with freezer blocks and leave the cool box in the shade. Being left in the sun dramatically reduces the cooling time.
The tab holding the elasticated storage cable has been found to become defective in a few days.
- Stays cold for approximately 5 hours
- Reliable shoulder strap
- Can pack flat when not in use
- Easy to clean and waterproof
- Inner padding on the lid repeatedly catches on the zipper
- Pad on the bottom can easily split exposing the cool box to mold growth
2. IGLOO Unisex’s Polar 120 Coolbox
A perfect addition to your camping trip. Food and drinks can stay fresh at low temperatures (with ice packs) for days thanks to the ultratherm insulation. For your convenience, the lid provides four cup holders during your outdoor dining experience.
- Reinforced swing-up handles with tie down loop feature
- Dual snap-fit lid latches for secure lid closure
- Ultratherm insulation keeps contents cold
- Threaded drain plug for optional hose up
What We Like About IGLOO Unisex’s Polar 120 Coolbox
This 18.2 lbs cooler is designed for the long haul and multi-tasks. The tie-down loops and snap-close lid makes this item secure when on the road. Aside from storing your drinks and food, it can also be a seat.
What We Don’t Like About IGLOO Unisex’s Polar 120 Coolbox
The clips and back hinges break too easily. It does not seem to be built to last.
- Keeps food and drinks cold for 5 days
- Lots of storage space
- Locking telescopic handles with gear hangers for easy transportation.
- Does the job, but not built to last
- Clips break
3. Coleman Cool Box Xtreme
The superior insulation technology makes this Coleman product an ideal cooler for camping and long road trips, keeping items cold for days.
- Premium insulation technology
- Strong handles for durability and easy portability
- Holds 100 330ml cans
What We Like About Coleman Cool Box Xtreme
A great choice for trips longer than a weekend. The insulation offers superior cooling performance.
What We Don’t Like About Coleman Cool Box Xtreme
Not ideal for solo trips will need a foldable trolley for transport. Some customers report that the contents are not kept cool for long, even with many ice packs. Some have complained that hinges break in less than a year after purchase.
- Stays cold for days
- BPA free
- Cup holders (4) molded into the lid
- Handle fell off after 1 day
- The wheels are not up to task
- Very difficult to open
4. Lifewit 30L Soft Cooler Bag with Hard Liner, Large Insulated Picnic Lunch Bag Box Soft-Sided Cooling Bag
Drinks and food, hot or cold, remain fresh longer in this cooler bag due to the thermal insulating materials. The exterior bag is made of water-resistant 1680D Oxford fabric and the interior lining is made of premium PEVA foil and padded with 8mm EPE foam.
- The cooler bag exterior keeps the stored items dry and clean
- The food grade PEVA foil interior lining and the 8mm EPE foam ensure thermal resistance
- Storage includes a wide opening for easy loading and unloading; 2 side mesh pockets and a deep front pocket for smaller items
- The padded handle and detachable shoulder strap
What We Like About Lifewit 30L Soft Cooler Bag with Hard Liner, Large Insulated Picnic Lunch Bag Box Soft-Sided Cooling Bag
The premium aluminum foil lining offers great thermal resistance keeping the food fresh and cold. The detachable shoulder strap is adjustable and the hooks are very strong and hold a lot of weight.
What We Don’t Like About Lifewit 30L Soft Cooler Bag with Hard Liner, Large Insulated Picnic Lunch Bag Box Soft-Sided Cooling Bag
It is necessary to change out the cold packs regularly to maintain cool temperatures. Outdoors it may only keep things cool for an hour or two.
- Solid insulation
- Light and easily collapse to store away
- Lots of storage space
- Strong zippers and good quality material
- Insulation isn’t great
- No supporting straps to balance the load.
5. IGLOO Unisex’s Island Breeze
In 1960, the Igloo was the pioneering company introducing the first 22-quart metal rectangular ice chest with a plastic liner. By 1962, it offered the first all-plastic ice chest.
Igloo now sells more than 500 different products, which are sold by more than 250 retailers worldwide.
- Cool riser technology for extended cooling performance
- Convenient swing-up bail handles for comfortable carrying and lifting in/out of vehicle – slotted lid for easy stacking
- Stain and odour resistant liner
What We Like About IGLOO Unisex’s Island Breeze
Spacious storage. Stays cool for 3-4 days at a time. Lightweight and easy to carry.
What We Don’t Like About IGLOO Unisex’s Island Breeze
During hot weather, ice may only last 24 hours.
- Capacity: 76 x 330ml drinks cans
- Light weight
- Great storage
- Value for the money
- Contents may not stay cool long in summer months
Igloo appears to have the best quality giving you everything you need. So why not get the best for your money and enjoy your food on those weekend or longer trips.