Best Reviewer may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Picnics, barbecues, beach days and camping trips are the family past times. Our current circumstances severely restrict our activities, which means we will get creative for your sunshine time with friends and family.
A reliable electric cool box to keep food and drinks at the right temperature will add to your outdoor meal enjoyment.
Caveat: any items you put into the cooler must already be cold. It is not a fridge.
So let’s review the five most popular ones on the market today so you can make the right choice.
Read Related Article: The Best Bottle Warmers
Table of Contents
|1. Vivo © 26L Electric Coolbox
|2. BERG Large Electric 33 Litre Cool Box/Warm Box
|3. Tristar KB-7526UK Thermoelectric Cool Box
|4. Mobicool MB32 power DC
|5. Auto Companion Coolbox
Our Best Electric Cool Box Reviews and Comparisons
1. Vivo © 26L Electric Coolbox
This 26-liter cooler/heater box is suited at home or in the car. It is easy to plugin and let the cooler do its work. It runs on 12V DC and 240V AC and comes with the needed leads.
- Works both indoors and outdoors due to its 26L 12V DC and 240V AC suited for outdoor and indoor electrical power sources.
- The handle locks the lid into place which means food will stay sealed in the cooler box to retain the quality of your food for day trips, camping, and picnics
- The Thermoelectric system cools to approximately -15°C below the ambient temperature. Heating mode warms to approx. 50°C.
What We Like About Vivo © 26L Electric Coolbox
This easy to use electric cool box will keep your food and drinks cold or warm depending on what you want. It runs fairly quiet so if you keep it in your sleeping area it won’t disturb your sleep.
Condensation is not uncommon for cool boxes, put a few sheets of kitchen roll on top of everything to absorb all water/moisture. A rinse with bicarbonate of soda prevents mildew.
What We Don’t Like About Vivo © 26L Electric Coolbox
The power cables connected to the back of the lid can get trapped behind the handle when opening the cool box or catch when taking the box in and out of the car, which can prevent the cool box from operating.
The power connections are unreliable and repeatedly disconnect.
- Contents stay cool or warm according to your preference
- Handle locks the lid into place sealing contents inside
- 26 litre capacity allows a 1.5 Litre bottle to stand in an upright position
- Power consumption 4.5 Amps at 12v DC
- Rear bracket appears quite flimsy
- Power plugs stick out to the point they are vulnerable to damage during normal traveling and use
2. BERG Large Electric 33 Litre Cool Box/Warm Box
This 33-liter electric cool box/warm box can be powered either from 240V mains or by a 12V in-car cigarette plug. So you can rely on it for your camping trips and other day outings.
- Large 33L capacity coolbox stores up to 45 standard 330ml cans.
- Cooling capability of 18-20°C below ambient temperature.
- Heating capability of between 50-60°C.
- Equipped with wheels and extending handle for easy manoeuvring.
- Supplied with UK, EU and 12V in-car plug cables.
What We Like About BERG Large Electric 33 Litre Cool Box/Warm Box
Great item for camping. Adequate for 4 people. Ideal for transporting food items. You can plug in anywhere, car, home, and hotels. It is easy to handle and functions beautifully.
What We Don’t Like About BERG Large Electric 33 Litre Cool Box/Warm Box
The lid does not open fully. The only way to get easy access to the cool box is to slide the lid off. The handle has broken easily for some customers.
- Keeps your food cold or hot, as you wish
- Easy to transport
- Can be plugged in anywhere with an electric power source
- Includes the necessary leads
- Handle has broken before use
3. Tristar KB-7526UK Thermoelectric Cool Box
The Tristar’s 24-liter spacious cool box offers plenty of room for all types of food and drinks. The thermoelectric system will both cool down and heat up which means you can bring hot meals on your trips.
- Cools up to 18⁰ C below ambient temperature and heats up to 65° C
- Perfect for on the road thanks to the light weight of 3.8 kilograms and integrated handle
- Thermoelectric cooling system includes both a 12V plug and 230V plug
- Functional design includes a detachable lid, safety lock and cord storage
What We Like About Tristar KB-7526UK Thermoelectric Cool Box
Once cold food is packed and the coolbox has been plugged in overnight before for the trip customers have found that even though their destination lacked an electric source the food remained satisfactorily cold for the duration.
What We Don’t Like About Tristar KB-7526UK Thermoelectric Cool Box
Customers have found that the cooling/warming switch can be accidentally knocked into. So be careful when using it that you do not inadvertently change the settings.
- Contents can remain cold for days when not plugged in
- Large bottles can be stored upright
- The power cord storage keeps the cords out of the way
- Sensitive cooling/warming switch
4. Mobicool MB32 power DC
Mobicool offers an impressive, portable and easy to store cool box. Do not underestimate its capacity and effectiveness because it does not look like its solid cooler box counterparts.
It is robustly made and meets or exceeds cooling performance in comparison.
- Attractive shopping organiser bag
- Convenient shoulder strap for portability
- After use it can be folded flat for storage
- Dimensions/Weight: 43 x 23 x 40 cm/2.04 kg
What We Like About Mobicool MB32 power DC
A cool box is big enough to store 6 big bottles.
Much lighter than a solid cooler box, it fits neatly either behind one of the front car seats or in the boot with a long cable for attachment to a 12v socket.
What We Don’t Like About Mobicool MB32 power DC
It does not work for very long.
- Keeps food cold
- Extending straps for portability
- Quiet motor
- Unreliable to remain cool for long
5. Auto Companion Coolbox
Perfect for outings when you are relying on a coolbox to keep food and drinks fresh at an ideal temperature in all weather.
Auto Companion Portable Electric Cool Box can reach temperatures ranging between 10 and 60 degrees Celcius.
- 32 Litre
- Keeps food cool to 10 Deg Celsius
- Heavy duty thermal lining
- Keeps food warm to 60 Deg Celsius
- All connectors supplied
What We Like About Auto Companion Coolbox
The switch temperature control makes this coolbox easy to use. The 12v connector can be plugged into a car’s cigarette lighter.
Your stored food and drink will be kept at the perfect temperature whether you are at home or on the move.
What We Don’t Like About Auto Companion Coolbox
The plug can get very hot and make the car plug socket (plus everything around it) hot as well. Customers have found this box did not keep contents cooled as advertised.
- Very quiet
- Interior gets cold in 2 hours
- Easy to operate
- Contents remain cool for 48 hours when travelling
- Power to the fridge is intermittent
- Very heavy when loaded
Tristar seems to have everything you need for storing your food and drinks. Whether you are able to get out or have to stay right in your backyard.
You have what you need to enjoy your outdoor meals.