Best Reviewer may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Grass seed is the basis of a happy and healthy looking front lawn and backyard. Grass will rapidly turn dull and unappealing mud into a smooth green backdrop offering limitless possibilities.
It’s the first thing considered by any gardener and the only thing considered by some. For all that, though, the varieties can be bewildering to the layman, and subtle enough that your average homeowner may not know what will best suit a specific property.
Some landscapers will attempt to circumvent the entire problem by using sections of sod. These are long lengths of soil planted with grass and grown to perfection in greenhouse or nursery conditions, before being cut to size and taken to where they are needed.
This is a tempting course of action for the impatient, but they can leave unsightly lines on the ground showing clearly where sod was used. Sod can also fail to take entirely, and leave a landscaper with a dead, yellowed front yard.
Properly seeding turf is an altogether more rewarding experience, requiring less time and effort than sod and usually at drastically lower cost. A few packs of seed will rarely cost what even a single layer of sod does, and can have the same effects properly executed.
Related Article: How Long Does Grass Seed Take To Grow
To help you get it right the first time, we’ve selected ten of the best varieties of seed to help your green thumb along.
Table of Contents
|1. Zenith Zoysia
|2. Pennington Smart Seed
|3. Kentucky Fescue
|4. Canada Green Grass Seed: 1Kg x 3. Bulk Offer
|5. Premier Landscape & Lawn Grass Seed
1. Zenith Zoysia
A fast-germinating strain that thrives in drought conditions.
- Solid green color
- Can come up in less than a week
- A hardy strain that needs little attention once sprouted
- Broad blades ‘fill’ lawn space well
What We Like About Zenith Zoysia
This strain makes for a quick and easy patch to grassy areas that have been worn down by use or weather.
What We Don’t Like About Zenith Zoysia
Although hardy in drought conditions, this strain can destabilize in overly moist surroundings and fail to sprout at all.
- Quick sprouting
- Full-bodied grass color
- Little need for water
- Fills in empty space
- Can handle heat waves
- Can be drowned by excessive watering
- Authentic Korean seeds can be hard to come by
2. Pennington Smart Seed
A versatile and resilient seed suitable for a variety of countries.
- Seeds are modified to resist infection
- Finer blades make a lower-maintenance lawn
- Will do well even in shady spots
- Product contains a mix of seeds to ensure sprouting wherever it is sown
What We Like About Peninnington Smart Seed
There are few conditions for which this seed mix is not suitable, including low-light areas and diverse climates
What We Don’t Like About Peninnington Smart Seed
Can die off quickly and without showing many symptoms beforehand.
- Sprouts in many places
- Suitable for shade
- Quick germination
- Provides thick lawn
- Dies rapidly
- Contains many varieties of seed in one product, of which only one will tend to sprout.
3. Kentucky Fescue
This product is a quick and easy way to seed large areas, containing nearly ten pounds of tough Fescue seed.
- Remarkable heat tolerance for a tall grass
- Coarse texture will disguise irregularities
- Hard to wear down
- Grows well in clay or sand as well as soil
What We Like About Kentucky Fescue
This brand impresses with hardiness of the plant and the considerable quantity of seed in one purchase.
What We Don’t Like About Kentucky Fescue
This product will be unsuitable for those wanting to seed only a small area, or looking for the elegance of more delicate grasses.
- Exceptionally tough
- Leading heat and drought resistance
- Can handle hard wear and tear
- Good for large areas
- Tall stalks hide unattractive features
- Large quantities are not useful for small gardens or yards
- Coarse grass may be less preferred for aesthetic purposes
4. Canada Green Grass Seed: 1Kg x 3. Bulk Offer
The Canada Green Grass Seed can be used to maintain your lawn or to grow a whole new lawn. This product guarantees to grow you grass that resists all weathers and is garden friendly so you can let your kids run around on it all day long.
- This product has a sowing lawn coverage of 84 square meters
- If used for lawn repair, you will get a coverage of 141 square meters
- Durable and lives through all weather conditions
What We Like About Canada Green Grass Seed: 1Kg x 3. Bulk Offer
- Instructions are easy to follow
- Long lasting results
- Great lawn coverage
- Grass starts growing within a few days
What We Don’t Like About Canada Green Grass Seed: 1Kg x 3. Bulk Offer
- Some inconsistencies over time with the quality of the product
- Dies off quickly and needs constant maintenance
- Growth rate varies
- The grass stays green even through winter and extreme heat
- The lawn grows a luscious and healthy green
- When used correctly the lawn grows incredibly fast
- Easy to use
- Inconsistent results on when used on different soils
- The lawn can grow patchy in areas
5. Premier Landscape & Lawn Grass Seed
Premier Lawnscape and Lawn Grass Seed is designed to be used on either large landscape areas or small lawns. You can patch up areas of grass that need a bit of tender loving care with these seeds to even out your lawn, or you can create a brand new lawn area.
- Patches up small areas of grass
- Can be used to grow a brand new lawn
- Contains ryegrass
What We Like About Premier Landscape & Lawn Grass Seed
- You can purchase the pack size to suit your lawn needs
- There are simple and clear instructions to follow
- Good for shade and light
- The formula is specific for lawns and landscapes
What We Don’t Like About Premier Landscape & Lawn Grass Seed
- You must wait 6 months post using this product to treat any weeds
- Results vary depending on soil types its used on
- Works well on any lawn regardless of the severity of the improvements that need to be made
- You can grow a whole new lawn from scratch
- Results come relatively quickly
- Uses only high quality seeds
- You can’t treat other lawn issues for 6 months after planting the seeds
- Doesn’t work effectively every time
These are our five top picks for the base to your next lawn or yard feature. Choose one that will match the surroundings and make sure to prepare adequately before use. Read up to understand the ideal conditions in your location to see the best results.
International customers should keep in mind that these are agricultural products, and be fully familiar with all regulations and customs before ordering across borders.
Read Another Related Article: Best Garden Fork For 2020