Best Reviewer may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Any homeowner knows that dirt and grime get everywhere, no matter how hard you try to keep them out. A house can sometimes seem like nothing more than a lot of places where grit can get into — window tracks, tight corners, behind sinks, and the baseboards or molding of every room you own.
While the struggle to keep a house presentable is invariably as old as the house in question, there are many new tools that can help a homemaker get ahead of the dirt. Prominent among the array of housekeeping technology available is the handheld steam cleaner, designed to blend the best elements of many traditional methods in a single, convenient device.
As with many household items, there are a bewildering number of them on the market, and not all are created equal. We’ve picked out five of the best to get you started.
Table of Contents
|1. Bissel Steam Shot Hard Surface Cleaner
|2. DBTech Multipurpose Pressurized Steam Cleaning
|3. Comforday Handheld Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
|4. mfavour Handheld Steam Cleaner
|5. McCulloch Handheld Steam Cleaner
Our Best Product Reviews and Comparisons
1. Bissel Steam Shot Hard Surface Cleaner
This steam cleaner heats in less than a minute and has been reported effective on nearly every household surface.
- Heating elements run at 1,000 watts
- 20 ft. power cord
- Multiple nozzles and attachments
- 6 ½ oz. reservoir
What We Like About Bissel Steam Shot Hard Surface Cleaner
Powerful and effective, this device has garnered a considerable number of highly satisfied users for simplicity and cleaning action.
What We Don’t Like About Bissel Steam Shot Hard Surface Cleaner
The device body is constructed of relatively brittle plastic that cannot handle any serious shocks or wear.
- Corded power supply will never run down
- Ready in moments
- Attachments for any task
- Completely chemical-free cleaning
- Intuitive pistol-grip design
- Poor-quality materials
- Cord limits the device reach and mobility
2. DBTech Multipurpose Pressurized Steam Cleaning
This steam cleaner can be safely used on fabrics as well as hard surfaces, making it an easy way to freshen up clothes and kill off bed bugs or mites.
- 1,050 watt heating system
- Can provide up to 20 minutes of continuous steam without refilling
- 9 ½ ft. long power cord
- Works on fabrics and dishes as well as household surfaces
What We Like About DBTech Multipurpose Pressurized Steam Cleaning
This is a tremendously versatile piece of equipment. It can kill pests, wash dishes, and steam clothes in addition to the mainstream applications for a steam cleaner.
What We Don’t Like About DBTech Multipurpose Pressurized Steam Cleaning
Pressure ratings for this device are at the low end, which means it is unable to effectively clean grout or tough encrustation.
- 20 minutes of cleaning
- Power supply will never need recharging or run down halfway
- Several attachments for a variety of tasks
- Good warranty and customer support
- Handles unusual cleaning tasks
- Lower pressure reduces its effectiveness
- Cord limits device reach and mobility.
3. Comforday Handheld Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
A sturdy and effective steamer that gets the job done without breaking the bank along the way.
- Overlapping safety features to protect the user during operation
- Scrubbing attachments allow this cleaner to beat stains that would foil steam-only models
- 1,050 watt power supply
- Heats to 270 degrees Fahrenheit
What We Like About Comforday Handheld Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
This steamer is reported exceptionally cost-effective, and more resilient than most other models for prolonged use.
What We Don’t Like About Comforday Handheld Multi-Purpose Steam Cleaner
The safety features and nozzles on this model can be faulty, making some attachments or even the whole device unusable.
- Cleans powerfully enough to use on grills and cars
- Scrubbing attachments effectively remove grime or mold
- No harmful chemicals to damage clothes or floor
- Flexible extension hose for inaccessible areas
- Smaller and lighter than comparable products
- Safety locks can engage unexpectedly and prevent operation
- Guide tabs for fitting extensions can be faulty
4. mfavour Handheld Steam Cleaner
A high-tech steam cleaner that can do more than just clean because it is packed with a nine-piece attachment bag.
- 220 volts AC power supply
- 300 ml tank
- Heats to 284 degrees Fahrenheit
- Whole item weighs less than five pounds
What We Like About mfavour Handheld Steam Cleaner
Once fully warmed up, this cleaner can strip paint, clean stoves and grills, and clean cars of harsh road trip stains.
What We Don’t Like About mfavour Handheld Steam Cleaner
At three to five minutes warm-up time, this product is considerably slower than similar models, and has been reported to have lower pressure as well.
- Nine attachments for any application
- Light enough to be carried around easily
- Cuts the toughest of substances
- 360 degree nozzle rotation
- Multiple safety features
- Slow to heat up
- Steam power may decrease after prolonged use
5. McCulloch Handheld Steam Cleaner
This product hides a powerful and durable steaming mechanism underneath a sleekly styled shell made for rough use.
- Maximum heating time of three minutes
- Above 200 degrees Fahrenheit
- 11 attachments to handle garage duty as well as house and patio
- Extension hose and jet nozzle for difficult areas
What We Like About McCulloch Handheld Steam Cleaner
Although many claim the title, this is by far the most versatile model, with eleven different attachments and the pressure and heat to make them effective.
What We Don’t Like About McCulloch Handheld Steam Cleaner
There are reports of the hoses or gaskets failing, a malfunction that could release dangerously hot water on the user.
- Attachment heads for almost every purpose
- Cord means there is no need to recharge
- 10 minutes of continuous high-pressure steaming
- Trigger lock prevents arm and hand fatigue from constant squeezing
- Replacement attachments easily available
- Reports of serious scaling in the nozzle
- Hose can be dangerously faulty
A handheld steam cleaner could be the thing you need to finally take charge of the mess in your home. Combined with many other appliances into a single small tool to ease the workload.
These devices are five of the best in the field. Select the one that is best suited for your personal household needs.