Best Reviewer may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
There’s nothing quite like the feeling of finishing off a load of laundry; the smell of fresh clothing and the feel of crisp folds and smooth sheets make for a warm, rustic sensation that few other chores can match.
Last and not least in that process is the ironing, turning a fresh but crumpled load back into something presentable after the wash. As anyone who has done it will explain at length, there is no real substitute for an ironing board when trying to get your washing done.
Nearly every other surface is unsuitable for some reason. Counters are too messy. Tabletops will burn or melt. Beds, couches or even the floor have both problems and are at an uncomfortable height to boot.
Foregoing ironing entirely is hardly an option. That may not make your clothes any worse, but it certainly won’t help them any.
Since an ironing board is clearly called for to see the job through, we’ve put together a list of the five best ones to make your ironing easier.
Table of Contents
|1. Bartnelli 51×19-Inch
|2. Homz Contour
|3. Rowenta IB9100 Pro
|4. Household Essentials 974406-1
|5. Hafele America WallMounted
Our Best Product Reviews and Comparisons
1. Bartnelli 51×19-Inch
Made in the European Union, this model is packed with all the thoughtful features that you would want to make ironing easier.
- Durable T-leg support
- Multiple layers cover the board
- Several height options
- Measures 51 x 19 inches
What We Like About Bartnelli 51×19-Inch
This board has a long list of small additions that make it comfortable and convenient to use over and over again.
What We Don’t Like About Bartnelli 51×19-Inch
The components are largely made of plastic, meaning that they can crack or snap easily if roughly used.
- Hanging rack
- Multi-layered cover
- Adjustable height
- Iron rest
- Transport lock keeps the board folded when not in use
- Plastic components break easily
- Cover can slip or fray
2. Homz Contour
This metal lattice board opts for construction over appearance with an aluminum frame and perforated surface to let heat escape quickly.
- Curved feet can hold more weight than T-legs
- Metal surface allows heat to escape to prevent burning clothes
- Legs lock for added stability
- Rubber stoppers protect board feet to prevent scratching the floor
What We Like About Homz Contour
A thick cover of natural materials and the perforated board prevent heat buildup while still giving a smooth and stable working area.
What We Don’t Like About Homz Contour
The legs and feet are reported to be of poor quality, and can be inadvertently bent or flattened even while in use.
- Sturdy curved feet
- Rubber floor protectors
- All-cotton pad
- Locking mechanism holds board at the right height
- Legs can be damaged easily
- Locking mechanism is tricky to operate
3. Rowenta IB9100 Pro
A modern entry into the field, featuring all the extras, in a compatible frame that can fold down to save space in storage.
- Wheeled base for repositioning
- Hanger rack
- Iron rest
- Built-in steaming station shelf
What We Like About Rowenta IB9100 Pro
This board holds everything you need while doing the ironing and brings it where you want it with the handy wheeled base.
What We Don’t Like About Rowenta IB9100 Pro
Several defects have been reported in the collapsing mechanism that prevent the board from opening or unfolding fully, making some features unusable.
- Steam station shelf built in
- Wheeled base for mobility
- Compact storage size
- Iron rest and hanger rack
- Legs treated against corrosion
- Plastic components in ironing surface
- Folding mechanism can be faulty
4. Household Essentials 974406-1
A thick and sturdy board that emphasizes strength and stability for your laundry.
- 49 x 18 inches
- Adjustable height to accommodate the user
- Secure leg locks hold the board firmly
- Iron rest and hanger rack to help with the work
What We Like About Household Essentials 974406-1
This board can take more weight than other models without tipping or buckling, and is more stable even while holding a load.
What We Don’t Like About Household Essentials 974406-1
The board surface has been reported to warp or even crack easily when used with a steam iron.
- High weight capacity
- Four-footed base is stronger and more stable
- Metal stand holds iron safely
- Hanger bar collapses when in storage
- Leg locks are stronger than other models
- Board surface can be damaged by steam
- Heavier than many other models
5. Hafele America WallMounted
Our last selection is an unorthodox approach to ironing boards that saves space and solves the problem of unstable or weak board stands as well.
- Board is mounted to the wall for zero stability issues
- Folds up to make storage a breeze
- Steel construction is sturdy and serviceable
- Swiveling base lets you pick an angle and lock into position
What We Like About Hafele America WallMounted
This board seems like the perfect solution to several problems, including all issues relating to stability, storage, and mobility.
What We Don’t Like About Hafele America WallMounted
This board will need to be mounted somewhere sturdy enough to hold the weight of the steel frame.
- Board swivels and locks at desired angle
- Fold it up for instant storage
- Use of steel instead of aluminum makes for added strength and durability
- Wall anchor can hold considerable weight
- Easy to mount on the wall
- Board will be immobile
- Height cannot be adjusted
These boards will give you a solid platform to handle your ironing, ensuring smooth clothes and sharp creases that will have your duds looking their best after a wash.
Pick one that seems like it will go with the rest of your home. With the right board, you can find that you can enjoy doing your chores a little bit more instead of finding the task irksome.
A note of caution is in order when it comes to the use of the iron rest. Buyers are cautioned to keep an eye — or a hand, if possible — on the iron at all times. No product is failsafe.
An iron rest is no substitute for the careful attention that prevents a large, heavy, and searing hot iron from falling over; especially in the vicinity of highly flammable dry fabric.