Best Reviewer may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Everything needs to be cleaned eventually, even the things we think of as being made to take muck and mud, like driveways, cars, roofs, and more. Those things that accumulate debris, and it does need to be removed at some point.
Once, elbow grease was the way to go, scrubbing away with a brush or cloth for hours on end. Now the pressure washer does the work faster and more effectively than manual labor.
Some hallmarks of a good pressure washer will be the strength of the hose connections and compressor. These are arguably the essential parts of the machine, as the cleaning jet cannot function without them.
Beyond these components, a pressure washer should ideally be compact and waterproof, with an ergonomic handle and a nozzle that will do more than just throw a single, solid jet.
Although there are many on the market, some stand out. We’ve put together five of the best to help you make your choice.
Table of Contents
|1. Kärcher K7 Premium Full Control Plus
|2. MUC-OFF PRESSURE WASHER
|3. STIHL RE 98
|4. BOSCH AQT 45-14 X
|5. Kew Nilfisk Alto D-PG 140.4-9 PAD X-TRA
Our Best Product Reviews and Comparisons
1. Kärcher K7 Premium Full Control Plus
This model is arguably the leader of the field in terms of water pressure and jet control.
- Weighs 18 kg
- Light emitting diode control panel
- Onboard storage for all accessories
- Simplified hose connector
What We Like About Kärcher K7 Premium Full Control Plus
This model impressed us both with essential cleaning performance and the wealth of extras that have been packed into a single device.
What We Don’t Like About Kärcher K7 Premium Full Control Plus
This model is both heavy and bulky, making it difficult to move and store easily.
- Triple action of detergent, rinse, and pressure wash
- Ergonomic pistol-grip nozzle
- Telescoping handle spares the user’s back
- Hose connects easily
- Integrated hose reel
- Awkward to carry and store
- Prohibitively expensive
2. MUC-OFF PRESSURE WASHER
A reliable choice aimed at those seeking a balance of power and portability.
- Weighs slightly more than 6 kg
- Maximum pressure is 100 BAR
- Hose is 5 meters long
- 390 liters per hour flow rate
What We Like About MUC-OFF PRESSURE WASHER
Small and lightweight, this washer can handle most cleaning tasks without taking up your entire garage or shed.
What We Don’t Like About MUC-OFF PRESSURE WASHER
This model has limited functions, and while gentle enough for delicate bicycles or cars is not advised on tough patios or driveways.
- Easy to move and store
- Bicycle friendly
- Proprietary line of cleaning products
- Storage bag included
- Weaker than other models
- Fewer spray modes than others.
3. STIHL RE 98
Stihl has long been trusted by professionals as the best home version of their commercial equipment.
- Weighs slightly more than 16 kg
- 380 liters per hour water flow
- Hose length 6 meters
- Maximum pressure 120 BAR
What We Like About STIHL RE 98
This washer includes the best elements of several others, making it an acceptable choice for any application.
What We Don’t Like About STIHL RE 98
This model can easily give a bare and scoured look to metallic surfaces and may damage more delicate wooden areas.
- Fan nozzle for rinsing areas
- Jet nozzle for point cleaning
- Highly durable
- Detergent included
- Compatible with several other brands of accessories
- Does not particularly excel in any one field
- Can strip paint in fan mode.
4. BOSCH AQT 45-14 X
Bosch is a well-known name in home repair and maintenance, and once again delivers a quality power tool with this washer.
- Weighs 22 kgs
- 450 liters per hour water flow
- 8 meter long hose
- Maximum pressure 140 BAR
What We Like About BOSCH AQT 45-14 X
This machine has noticeably higher output and pressure than many similar items.
What We Don’t Like About BOSCH AQT 45-14 X
Higher pressure means more vibrations and recoil when in use.
- Adjustable pull handle
- Quick-connect SDS hose fittings
- Accessory storage on the device
- Exceptional cleaning power
- Water filter for easy maintenance and extended lifespan
- Not recommended on patios
- Extreme vibrations
5. Kew Nilfisk Alto D-PG 140.4-9 PAD X-TRA
A high-tech pressure washer with some groundbreaking features not yet seen on other models.
- Roughly 14 kg
- 9 meter long hose
- Maximum pressure is 140 y BAR
- 450 liters per hour water flow
What We Like About Kew Nilfisk Alto D-PG 140.4-9 PAD X-TRA
A wireless control surface means fewer components to foul up in water and a more sensitive digital interface between the grip and the compressor.
What We Don’t Like About Kew Nilfisk Alto D-PG 140.4-9 PAD X-TRA
The grip will need to be powered separately, and can run down long before the rest of the machine needs to be serviced.
- Considerable cleaning power
- Changes power and spray mode in a single touch
- Digital display makes it easy to monitor machine status
- Comes with multiple attachments and extensions
- Convenient crank on integrated hose reel
- Control display is hard to read in sunlight
- High vibrations and recoil
Using these machines, getting your home and vehicles sparkling again will be a breeze. Attach a hose and turn it on to get rid of months of grime and grit in just a few short moments. With a few pulls on the trigger, these machines will do what it would take hours to finish by hand.
Buyers are cautioned on one particular count – all of these machines involve using electrical cables near running water, an obviously hazardous proposition. Users should be careful to position their pressure washer in such a way that the jet falls well clear of any electronics, and keep wiring or outlets uphill from any runoff that may occur.
Similar caution should be used with the pressure wash jet itself. The concentrated pressure these jets produce can easily damage people or property.
Extreme care must be taken not to direct the jets at anyone, especially not with a detergent in use. Most outdoor cleaning detergent is toxic, and can cause serious harm to the mouth, eyes, nose, and other orifices.